Friday, February 24, 2012

Yeah for Small Businesses!

Picture of Wildlife Babies display board at Nature Realm
while Metro Parks of Summit Co Naturalist
Many of you know about my search for employment up here in Northeast Ohio which has spanned the last 5 years.  Jobs have come, jobs have gone all improving my jack-of-all trades brand.  I have a lot of skills, I keep telling unbelievers and here is why I think I can say that. 

 In my life I have held the following positions:  Bird seed seller, Naturalist, Volunteer and Membership Manager, High-end Outdoor Gear sales person (canoes/kayaks/paddle boats, shoes, backpacks, paddles, outdoor apparel etc), caterer, janitor, babysitter, delivery truck scheduler, camp counselor, lifeguard, boating skills trainer, Outdoor & Environmental Program Manager (created, presented, evaluated all programs), Day & Resident Camp Administrator, volunteer editor, writer, Marketing professional, Administrative Asst to CEO of Major Company, Job Coach for MR/DD High School students....phew, ok these are all the jobs I can remember...think that is enough to have done in one lifetime?

Piliated Woodpecker outside Nature Realm Window
Yet in the current economic environment of NE Ohio, I seem to be under skilled or undervalued or perhaps, I am just too old.  I think that I am quickly becoming one of those people I used to look at and sigh saying, Oh they probably will never have a real job again.  Those words now have turned back on me.

 While hanging out at the Stow Community Job Club, I used to tell my friends that with the level of talent in the group we should be able to form a company and do anything, that we needed to start to "make it happen for ourselves".  Well, after nine months of looking, thousands of creative words penned into resumes and cover letters and lost, interviews, phone calls, learning Power Point 7 with nothing but dead ends and sorry, you weren't chosen, have a nice life ringing in my brain, I've finally decided to take my own advise and to make it happen for myself. 
  
Waterfront at Camp NaWaKwa where I was
Outdoor & Environmental Program Manager
The issue with this is that it takes lots of energy and generally money.  Two things that seem in short supply in my life right now.  So what is a woman to do then?  Maybe I'll break out and do something crazy, like hike 2100 miles, or perhaps leave everything and go babysit my grandbaby, or maybe even take off to New Mexico and hang out in the Taos Mountains knitting.  Sky's the limit I say.
  
Photo Credit: Greg Boone
Stacy, owner of Step Outdoors in CO

 I have the greatest admiration for those who have struck out on their own in these difficult economic times.  I cheer them on, I jump up and down when they succeed, I pat them on the back and give them a hand when they are downcast...mostly virtually since they are almost all far away.  The energy and effort it takes to market, do the work and plan ahead in a small business situation is extraordinary. 

So, in an effort to help some of my favorite people along the way, here's a list of fine independent business people.  Solid skills, good service and a smile is what you'll get when you visit these entrepreneurs.  Remember that if you do not visit the small, local, speciality business because they are a little more expensive, out of your way or its faster to do it online or at the local Megastore, the next time you need some good advice about organic gardening, why your hiking boots don't fit anymore or need a good book to read, or want to go outdoors with others, they might not be there.  I support the 3/50 project which means that each month I try to visit 3 local businesses and spend $50.  Small businesses are the backbone of the financial recovery.  Visit some of these folks why don't you? 

Photo Credit: Nervous Dog Coffee Bar
Stow, Ohio
 Many of these shops are local to me in Ohio, some are online and run by friends.  Please forgive me if I've forgotten you and send me a reply so I can link to your website.  All of the owners are everyday Americans just trying to get by.  I am sure you have many places in your town, in your neighborhood who you could support. 

Step Outdoors,                        Vertical Runner Hudson, OH       Dots Tavern, Damascus, VA
Elemental Horizons Packs          Nervous Dog Cafe, CF, OH        Mt Rogers Outfitters

Mocha Joes, Stow, OH              Lightheart Gear, Asheville        AntiGravity Gear
Appalachian Outfitters, OH        Learned Owl, Hudson, OH        
Katie Lehmkuhl, Massage Therapist, Indpls
Clark Fine Photography             Catalyst Homes & Investments, OK City       
 

Judy, Lightheart Gear
Dean of Clark Fine Photography

George "Tin Man" Andrews
Owner, Anti-Gravity Gear
 In the next weeks, in order to make it happen for myself I will try to add some more informational pages to this blog since I do know a thing or two about a couple of subjects.  I may even try to sell you some stuff like photographs or jewelry or maybe a handknit scarf in your favorite colors.  I have some antique Haviland china or a backpacking sleeping bag you might like to take off my hands.  I might even put on my ninja clothing and secret shop or maybe I'll just chuck it all and go hiking. So, as I attempt to launch myself into the air, free falling into the unknown, I know that I am in good company and that even if I fall flat on my face there will be someone there to give me a hand up.    
 
Left to Right
Owner Massage Therapy Business, Future Small Organic Farm owner, owner Catalyst Homes


  




2 comments:

  1. I think you are creating something really great here VJ! Can't explain exactly what I mean....it just seems very 'important'. Nah...that doesn't quite express it...but can't currently think of a better word than 'important'. Creating.....no matter how an audience judges our creation...is always important and very powerful. And you are definitely creating something tangible here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy, for your thoughts. I am enjoying doing this and hope everyone is having fun too! Important or not it's keeping me busy! (insert smiley face)

    ReplyDelete