Saturday, March 31, 2012

Backpacking Stoves #2



 When I think of what equipment was like when I first started backpacking...well, it makes me chuckle.  Some of my first backpacking experiences happened on Girl Scout trips or at camp.  We carried BSA external frame canvas packs.  We made cooking stoves from #10 cans and called them gosh...buddy burners maybe but somehow I think that was the tuna can full of paraffin and cardboard which was placed under and provided the heat for cooking.  These little items were carried on the outside of our packs making us literally a clinking, clanking, clattering collection of caligenous junk!  We wore clodhoppers for boots which were heavy leather things with white cotton socks which caused massive blisters.  They were neither waterproof nor breathable.  Blue jeans were standard hiking wear with cotton tee shirts.  I have a mental picture of a 15 year old Vera on a backpacking trip which will always live in my memory and make me laugh. 

So, stoves today have come a long way.  I promised you a glimpse of some other types of high tech stoves which have come upon the scene in the last 10 years.  All small and fairly fuel efficient and can boil water in 6 minutes or less. 

Probably the first stove that people used before the alcohol stove became popular was the Esbit stove.  Developed by the military, I believe, as a lightweight cooking option it uses a solid lump of fuel either Esbit fuel or Hexamine/Trioxane.  I have to admit that in the beginning of my bping career, I did try this stove but quickly realized that the fuel smelled bad, was marginally, if not terribly, toxic and took a long time to heat water.  Many people still use this fuel and actually love it.  I do not, so I am not an expert.  Sgt Rock has some good information on this stove on his website.  http://tinyurl.com/725mb4n

Esbit fuel burns well in the cold but is, I think, difficult to light.  Putting it out is, I think, challenging and is hard to figure out how much fuel you will actually use at each meal.  You will have to bag or double bag the fuel to keep it from stinking everything up.  For more info, go to Sgt Rock's website, he has some great charts there with burning times and info.  Good stuff.  Oh and of course, carry a windscreen.

The Trangia alcohol stove was probably the earliest alcohol stove.  The original, as I recall, was heavy but now one version weighs 7 oz and comes with a 3 piece aluminum pot stand which comes apart for travel.  Made of brass it comes with a simmer ring which adjusts the flame and a lid which works great when you need to put the stove out and allows any unused fuel to remain in the stove thus reducing spillage.  A great stove and not at all expensive.  A good beginning alcohol stove.

Another stove which was used by many (still used by many) is the Sierra Zip stove.  Burning pine cones, bark, twigs, etc and accompanied by its forced air ventilation fan it will burn hot and efficiently.  Its 1 lb weight is heavier than most but it makes up for this in boiling water with available material in four minutes.  That means no carrying fuel, fuel canisters, worrying about finding fuel, spilling fuel or drinking fuel accidentally if you forget to label your fuel bottle. (it has happened)  The fan is powered by AA batteries or an optional D cell power supply will work for 35 hours.  A new stove in their line replaces the steel in the original stove with titanium reducing the weight of said stove to 10 oz.  WOW..now that makes a big difference!  You can check this stove out at http://www.zzstove.com/

Now on to some crazy stuff...which I will disclaimer with, I have no idea how these things work if at all, in no way recommend that you buy them but include them because they are interesting options.  I found many while doing my own due diligence preparing to buy gear.  Some may even be out of business.  Bottom line is I just love gear and think I need to join some 12 step gearhead group.

Photo from ThermoJet website
http://tinyurl.com/7eqg3lj - The ThermoJet stove is an alcohol stove supposedly on steroids. I liked its compact design but think that the Caldera Cone might work using the same kind of principle.



http://www.biolitestove.com/Contact.html - The Biolite stove is a high tech wood burning unit which I am pretty excited about.  It is new tech which has applications not only as a backpacking/camping stove but also may be used in homes in developing countries.  Built to charge electrical gadgets while cooking, it truly may revolutionize the developing world and does provide a green fuel option.  Now I know wood in some people's eyes is not really a renewable resource BUT I maintain that it is not a fossil fuel based product.  That is a good thing in my little green mind.  Stated information from their website says that the packed size is 8.25" x 5" and weighs 2 lbs 1 oz (935 g) Ok, I agree that is one heavy stove BUT think about what it will replace....solar charger, batteries etc.  It is due out this spring so there are no reviews but all you techweenies out there need to take a look at this puppy.

Make sure that while you are looking at this wood stove you check out the oldie but goodie...Nimblewell Nomad's wood burning stove.  This website will explain how to build your very own:  http://tinyurl.com/89c6qgt

The following website will review a Vargo wood burner.  I met the owner/designer of Vargo stoves when he was not well known.  He is another example of someone who had a great idea, used modern materials and is making a living following his dreams.  
http://tinyurl.com/83cax27 

Photo from Biolerwerks website
The last new stove, is a little beauty from a company called Boilerwerks.  Their stove is called the Backcountry Boiler TM and is billed as the first lightweight chimney kettle.  It is a nifty looking piece of gear which resembles a metal water bottle and evidently can double as a water bottle.  Once you boil your non-potable water keep it in the kettle, put the lid on and walk on.  Pretty cool, eh?! When you see it for the first time, you might think to yourself, how can this be a stove?  Well, I am excited, this thing looks like a rocket and may even boil water like one.  The designer states that, "Once this thing gets going , its like the bellows of Hades."  He works from a green and sustainable manufacturing ethic...I love it.   http://www.theboilerwerks.com/

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to learn about and compare gear options.  Just take some time to google the item you want to learn about then read, read, read, talk to gearheads/read their blogs and reviews.  Join a yahoo interest list, go to events, talk to gear manufacturers, read Backpacker magazine reviews.  ACK!!!, those of you who are purists say, but I used to sleep with my Backpacker mag when just a newbie.  Most of all it is important to go out into nature as often as possible even if its just to wander around a park or a yard...you can test your rain suit while walking in your yard in winter.  Wandering in nature acclimatizes you to the non-nonsense attitude nature has ....it is what it is and the trail is the trail...no matter how much you complain you just have to walk.  And that attitude is what will get you up the trail not how good your gear is.

2 comments:

  1. How about using the Opsac < www.loksak.com > for storing those Esbit tabs? I haven't seen the tabs since I was a Girl Scout a hundred years ago.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Lady Di that certainly would work would be my guess. You could probably double baggie them too and that would be better. People still use them (Esbit) but I am not a fan.

    ReplyDelete