Monday, July 16, 2012

An Ounce Is An Ounce


Photo Credit: Restless Jim Davis
 Every year during thru hiker season, I enjoy participating in the pack Tuckerizing .ceremony.  It is a time to see new gear, to talk trail, to look at wanna be thru hikers gear selections and sometimes it is a time when I press the palm of my hand into my forehead and shake my head.  I've seen some pretty crazy stuff in packs like 2 rectangular bags full of various cosmetics, face cleaning items, anti-itch, anti-sweat, anti-bug and anti-wrinkle creams, plus band aids LOTS of different sized band aids.  Now, for the most part just let me say that band aids don't really work for hikers, usually its because they are sweaty and hot.  Band aids don't stick well to sweaty, wet skin...generally it takes duct tape. 

So, I know a lot of hikers, I even can play one on TV if I wanted to.  I used to sell a lot of gear at a major gear store.  Most of you know this about me.  What you do not know, maybe, is that I am a secret pack evaluator.  Meaning that I cannot pass by someone wearing a backpack without doing one of those superhuman scans where everything is revealed.  If you have too much stuff in your pack and you want to keep it...I am your worst enemy.  If you want to lighten up, I can be your best friend.  

Potential Ruck Tucker-izers
If you've ever been to an ALDHA event (goggle it) then you may have heard about a secret ceremony that occurs once, maybe twice a year at the PA Ruck and Trail Days.  It is called Pack Tuckerizing.  You will have to wait for another time to hear the whole story of how this event started and I have to admit I was not there at the very first Tuckerizing.  I think Friar Tuck and Jim Owen might be the only ones who know when the practice first started.  But it was a historic event which has helped many hikers in the ensuing years lower their pack weight 
and hike more comfortably.

When a friend, who is hiking this year, said recently to me, "My knee is killing me, I have no idea why and I'm not going to hike much just a couple of days."  I was duly upset for him. Then he said the magic words, " I REALLLLY need to lower my pack weight."  BINGO, Nelly...that's what I've been trying to tell you, I thought.  Instead, I said, "really?!"

When he invited me to look at his pack earlier this year before hitting the trail and I'd suggested that he leave some things home, he said things like, "oh, that doesn't weigh very much" and "Oh I have to have my giant knife and also my multi-tool."  Statements like these always make me say my stock answer which is "Well, an ounce is an ounce and you put 16 together you have a pound." and his reply was to put everything BACK into his pack. 

Photo Credit: DeLee Smith
This seems obvious but I know that when I started backpacking, I said the same thing.  So, I put in extra socks because I worried about wet feet, I put in extra food because I worried about starving, I put in extra clothes because I worried about being cold, I carried soap because of dirt, I carried...well you get the idea.  I carried things because of fear.  Not knowing what to expect I thought if I was prepared that I could use those things as a shield to keep me from all the unexpected things "out" there in the great unknown. I hoped that if I put all the things I carried on like a coat it would protect me from having to feel the fear and deal with it, to be cold, wet, out of food, dirty...but what I found was that it wasn't the things that kept my fear at bay it was the walking.   

 Was it easy to par down my pack size? No, each time I left something at home, decided to go with a higher degree bag and leave the extra pillows home, it was uncomfortable but I didn't die..yet.  Lately, due to knee issues, lack of time and aging I have had to face that fear even more because there can be no more backpacking unless there is less weight in my pack.  The real fear, I think, each of us face everyday is that there might not be time to do the things that are really important to us.  Guess its time to take stock and maybe I'll have to leave that teddy bear at home.....  

8 comments:

  1. Love this, Vera! You make great points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog, Vera! I especially loved seeing the pics since I got to SORuck, but not NORuck this year. (Thanks what we call it down south since it's not in PA anymore,lol) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RedHat...I cannot figure out what we are calling it either but usually I call it NORuck but Tuckerizing started at the PA Ruck and moved to the NO Ruck as a tradition. Glad you enjoyed and there are photos on FB pages of various people. I have some, Amy has some, Restless has some oh and probably Chase and Marsha. Hope to see you there next year!!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see your post as it's been too long between... I'm a "secret" pack adjuster. Usually the adjustee is much happier when I've finished and shown them how to be more comfortable. Well, as comfortable as one can be carrying a pack. I'm not giving up my pillow! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, I've posted a few but not as many as I did before...tis summer! I've given up 1 of my pillows and tweeked the other. Now I carry my new Exped pillow and use clothes in a stuff sack for other. I am not giving up pillows. :)I used to carry at least 2 and then use clothes....wacked...

      Delete
    2. Great post! It really is important to have that broader perspective and realize the costs of bring extra stuff.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Hemlock! Its taken me a little bit of time to give up stuff but bottom line, of course, is, if you wanna walk, its gotta go! Hope all is well with you!

      Delete