Friday, February 3, 2012

It's a Wonderful World

I stopped at a stoplight this afternoon and while sucking the last bite of Handel's All Heart ice cream from the end of the sugar cone, I noticed 3 girls on bicycles to the left of me waiting to cross the street.  They were headed for ice cream also on this sunny, beautifully warm February day in NE Ohio...that is just what Buckeyes do eat ice cream all year long ..in the cold, in the rain, in the snow...its funny and heartening.  Anyway, the girl's faces all of a sudden lit up and they started waving their arms yelling to friends exiting a car in the Handels parking lot.  I heard nothing but It was such a genuinely happy gesture, so free and easy and without care it caused tears to come to my eyes.

What kind of world are we leaving our children and grandchildren was my first thought. I'd just finished hearing about a war in Sudan, a possible war between Israel and Iran which our law makers would jump all over, the war in Afghanistan, other global disagreements happening everywhere.  I just read on FB a friend's post celebrating the fact a man felt like he needed to kill a teen who was acting like a butt when into my head jumped a picture of the gap that is ever widening between people because we cannot seem to listen without judgement or anger to people with differing opinions anymore, as a country we are divided and unable to accept other's who have differing opinions or are different. 

These young people, so oblivious to what is going on around the world, were caught up in what was happening at that moment..they saw their friends and were happy.  They were so focused that they failed to see the light change providing them with the opportunity to cross and join their friends.  How much happier might we be if we could enjoy the moment and not worry about the consequences of things...just be happy that we are here, alive and have friends.   This interaction made me think of some people who I try to emulate, so I'll share some words to live by from them.  Maybe if we all try to enjoy the moments more, stop sweating the big stuff and learn to focus on the small stuff (like my daffodils are up!!), enjoy just being with our friends and not worry about how different our opinions are and well, love each other more just 'cuz we're all humans and alive in this great, big beautiful world, maybe if we do this we can turn this bus around and head in a better direction...let's think about the kids, the future and how if we keep fighting there isn't gonna be much left for them to inherit...except maybe a desert wasteland.

Namaste all!

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.







3 comments:

  1. Resonate to everything you personally wrote....and the shared messages from others! And love that photo of little Maya in grandma's rainbow cape! Maybe one of your best photos so far...the perspective you captured can represent so many inspirational possibilities! Want to print and frame it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I will remember that...I also like the sepia toned Picassa one I have on FB page..tell me which one you like...She's a lovely young woman...

      Delete
  2. I like both photos....but, of course, I am partial to the full color one here on your blog page. Btw...I have changed the 'wallpaper' on my Droid so that everytime I turn on my phone I see that wonderful photo I took from the cliff above the beach at Manasota Key....of Maya holding your hand and walking alongside you in the surf. It makes me so happy everytime I see this picture! That whole day was deeply meaningful to me....watching you with Kenny and Bekah....together again for the first time in many years!

    ReplyDelete